Meeting of the North West Caldicott Guardian Network 9-Nov-2017
Main points from the last two UKCGC meetings
Joint IGA/UKCGC Conference at the Kia Oval London, Nov 28th 2017: now full. The event will be streamed live on YouTube: register your email address to access the live stream. The IGA will send you a link before the event. The event will be tweeted using the hashtag #igaconf2017 and you can follow the IGA on @IGAnewsfeed;
Regional Networks. There are now five regional Caldicott Guardian networks meeting throughout England. A terms of reference template has been produced following consultation with members and is recommended for adoption. Please send any comments to Ben Heal before the next meeting in Jan/Feb 2018;
All regional groups have been asked to:
- be aware of the UKCGC priorities: Provide support and comms to CGs, develop regional links, strengthen the Council, develop library of case studies, engage with and develop support for Caldicott Guardians in local authorities, primary Care and small scale organisations.
- actively seek case studies for use by the Caldicott Guardian community,
promote the use of our online digital forum;
Four training providers that provide specific Caldicott Guardian training have been identified and are working alongside the Council to ensure standards and adoption of the Manual for Caldicott Guardians. The Council will explore joint SIR0/CG/DPO ethics-based training but will not be a provider of such;
The Council has a joint with care home specialists project under way to develop plain English guidance on how the Caldicott function can best be undertaken in care/nursing homes and by care agencies;
A template for presenting case studies has been developed;
The Council received presentations on: the Child Protection – Information Sharing (CP-IS) which connects IT systems together to facilitate secure child protection information sharing between local authorities and the NHS; an update on the Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) programme; and the GDPR and Data Protection Bill, for which the national NHS/Social Care GDPR working party has developed guidance which is undergoing legal review with publication expected shortly.
The Council welcomes Caldicott Guardians to attend and observe its meetings which are held six time a year in London. Please contact the Council secretariat if you are interested.
Privacy/data protection impact assessments in light of the GDPR
A presentation was given by Jon Curtiss Green of GRG Services, a governance and consultancy firm. Key points were that data protection impact assessments (DPIAs) will become a legal requirement, and will represent a significant challenge for organisation that are not already undertaking them routinely.
- Gaining new members of the network;
- Setting specific themed meetings for Caldicott Guardians. Discussion on viability of setting specific support for groups such as hospices and social services departments;
- Case study corner. Helen Dyer presented a case study on access to medical notes following patient death.
- Next meeting: Ben Heal offered a presentation on managing the irrational complainant (before they manage you). Attendees were interested in such and also requested presentations on anything that is or will be mandatory for Caldicott Guardians. Next date: early 2018. The chair will use a ‘doodle survey’ amongst regular attendees to find the best date.
Thanks to Examworks for use of their venue and Helen Dyer's time to organise the room, drinks and foodstuffs.